To ensure the engineering integrity and quality of deliverables on projects within the division.
Reporting to the Operations Director. The primary requirement is to ensure that all systems are implemented within the division and that personnel are proficient in their use. The candidate will be required to support the projects during their lifecycle with particle emphasis on project setup, key reviews and ongoing monitoring and controls
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Oversee all engineering work and resources on the project including:
• technical acceptability of the work
• schedule of the work
• engineering input to keep capital cost within budget
• man-hour efficiency and cost
• inter-discipline co-ordination
- Ensure that the technical integrity and work scope definition is maintained through the Procurement and Construction activities, by maintaining close co-operation with those functions and advising the Project Manager if corrective action is needed
- Ensure the Issue of progress, efficiency and technical overview reports to the Project Manager as required by project procedures
- Ensure that the project work scope and quality requirements are clearly defined and agreed by the Client, and that change control procedures are adhered to.
- Interface with the Ops director on resource planning, allocation, demobilisation and appraisal, to achieve project and company resource management objectives.
- Ensure Close out of engineering work according to procedures, and disseminate and archive useful information gained and lessons learnt.
- Ensure that all project engineering documentation and drawings are adequately prepared, filed, secured and transmitted. Refer to applicable procedures for detailed responsibility.
- Establish and maintain a thorough knowledge of the scope of engineering work and quality requirements for all engineering disciplines.
- Ensure that specified technical requirements are met, in general by personal review and by ensuring that each discipline's work is adequately reviewed and checked by Discipline Functional Managers or approved specialists.
- Ensure the Obtainment of all approvals of engineering work required by Clients and any relevant statutory bodies.
- Ensure that there is good co-ordination between all technical disciplines, with special reference to:
• overall plant layout to achieve operability, maintainability and required ergonomic standards and safety
• avoidance of clashes
• defined and recorded inter-discipline interfaces
- More detailed responsibilities are defined in the company's engineering procedures.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Ensure the project engineers, define, maintain and work to a project scope of work and general plant design criteria (Project Job Book).
- Ensure that the project engineers, create, maintain and work to a realistic and sufficiently detailed schedule for engineering work.
- Create, maintain and work to a realistic and detailed budget for engineering work.
- Obtain adequate and balanced engineering resources with functional management support.
- Ensure the flow of technical information from/to Client and the Discipline Lead Engineers, and ensure quick and effective communication and record.
- Control engineering work by weekly review meetings for progress, co-ordination, problem solving and efficiency review, backed by discipline rolling horizons and discipline needs lists.
- Organise adequate multi-discipline design reviews in time to minimise any abortive work.
- Institute and finalise rapid and effective change control.
- Ensure that all engineering decisions take into account the consequences to capital cost, project schedule and effect on all other disciplines as well as technical issues
- Ensure the application of all engineering procedures and processes are implemented within the division.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
- Professionally the successful candidate will be a B.Sc. / B.Eng. (Mechanical) graduate (will consider other disciplines with relevant work experience)
- A proven track record of 8 years plus experience in engineering, project management, within a processing (Metals & Minerals) environment is required for this position.
- Individual needs to be proactive, professional and leads by example with a detailed and demonstrable knowledge of engineering design development
- Discipline specific engineering skills
- Business acumen
- Engineering design and management skills
- Critical evaluation skills
- Problem solving skills